Re: commit: Start of Math support in HEAD + Math Plan for 2.4

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 16:23:36 CET

> Le jeudi 06 janvier 2005 à 21:30 +0100, J.M. Maurer a écrit :
>> > Or create the API on an as-needs basis. Essentially that's almost
>> what
>> > is happening now anyway, just the API has lots of 'math' names rather
>> > than more generic ones. It's a bit of an ad-hoc approach, but it's
>> not
>> > an unreasonable assumption that the Maths plug-in will not have
>> > dissimilar needs of some (if not most) other embedded content
>> plug-ins.
>>
>> If it works out well, I'll try to generalize it in the future when there
>> is a need. Shouldn' t be too hard.
>
> I would like to embed some chemistry in abiword (I already sent a
> message about that some times ago).
> I do not think that I need a specific plugin in abiword since chemistry
> will not be needed by so many people. IMHO, abiword should be able to
> embed data from external programs (this might be implemented as a
> plugin). What should be decided before starting coding is what mechanism
> should be used. I remember some discussions on the gnome-office list
> about that last year.
> I volunteer to help coding this.

Hi Jean,
        and everyone else. OK I'm convinced and can see how to do it. With
a few changes it should be possible to write an API that will
allow aribtary programs to draw into AbiWord on whatever platform
they like.

I'm busy for two more days but after that I'll post an updated API for
embedding arbitary drawable objects.

Note however that authors of said arbitary plugins had better have a way
of printing as well as drawing to the screen.