Re: 2.4 feature list

From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 23:14:26 CET

> We should implement this as a plugin, and imo, using
> librsvg.
>
> Dom: would it be possible to port librsvg to Win32
> and OSX as well ?

Marc,

What do you mean? librsvg already works just fine on
Win32 and OSX.

If you mean "would it be possible to produce a version
of librsvg that uses Cairo/GDI+/Quartz so that all of
the drawing is done using vector commands", then I'd
have to say "yes, this is something that I'm looking
into, but will probably take a lot of work and time."

It is worth mentioning that librsvg has a lot of
dependencies that the Abi crowd might object to -
glib, libart, pango, libxml2, and freetype to name a
few.

It is also worth mentioning that writing a compliant,
fast SVG 1.1 renderer is no trivial feat either. It
would be a huge mistake for the AbiWord team to waste
resources writing its own SVG implementation, for
example.

Best,