Re: 2.4 feature list

From: J.M. Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 23:58:57 CET

Op za, 08-01-2005 te 14:14 -0800, schreef Dom Lachowicz:
> > We should implement this as a plugin, and imo, using
> > librsvg.
> >
> > Dom: would it be possible to port librsvg to Win32
> > and OSX as well ?
>
> Marc,
>
> What do you mean? librsvg already works just fine on
> Win32 and OSX.

I ment this one, yes. Wasn't aware of the multi platform capabilities.

> If you mean "would it be possible to produce a version
> of librsvg that uses Cairo/GDI+/Quartz so that all of
> the drawing is done using vector commands", then I'd
> have to say "yes, this is something that I'm looking
> into, but will probably take a lot of work and time."

This would be really neat, but not strictly nescesary for now.

> It is worth mentioning that librsvg has a lot of
> dependencies that the Abi crowd might object to -
> glib, libart, pango, libxml2, and freetype to name a
> few.

I'm not aware of any good win32 (and osx) svg rendering libraries, so
users who want this functionality just have to live with these
dependencies.

> It is also worth mentioning that writing a compliant,
> fast SVG 1.1 renderer is no trivial feat either. It
> would be a huge mistake for the AbiWord team to waste
> resources writing its own SVG implementation, for
> example.

That should be totally out of the question, yes.

Marc