Re: 2.4 feature list: Grammar Checker

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 00:55:13 CET

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 19:00:28 +0000
> From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych@yahoo.co.uk>
> To: abidevlist <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> Subject: 2.4 feature list: Grammar Checker
>

> I have two questions regarding the grammar checker:
>
> (a) are there any Open Source grammar checkers or at least public APIs
> for grammar checkers on the platforms we support? My concern is that we
> do not invest time into something that in the foreseeable future is not
> going to be usable.

The Link Grammar checker does now have a suitable license and has done for
over a year and has been mentioned onlist and I'm reasonably sure this was
noted in bugzilla too.

> (b) is it possible to implement a good generic grammar-checker framework
> for someone who is not familar with grammar-checking technologies?

I recall Dom did some work to make the spellchecking architecture more
generic with a view to needing a grammar checker at some point in the
future but I don't know how far in that direction he went if at all.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org
Dia is for Diagrams http://gnome.org/projects/dia/