Re: 2.4 feature list - native cut and paste.

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 15:58:15 CET

> msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
>>
>>>4. Native cut & paste (Hub)
>>

>> There is a HUGE amount of code in the RTF export and importer designed
>> deal with the complexities of cutting and pasting and particularly the
>> complexities of pasting into different contexts.
>>
>> I'm not willing to help out much on this piece of code because I
>> consider
>> it a waste of time and I will accept no regressions from our current cut
>> and paste code feature set.
>
> It is not a waste of time. It is basically a requirement, and this idea
> of using RTF is a bad design IMHO.
> What we should do is implement object persistence in PieceTable, which
> is not too hard.

It's not that easy. You will have to alter the properties of some the
objects at the point of the paste. Some objects are not allowed to be
placed at all points in the piecetable.

> The RTF imp/exp is far too complex because of all of these, and is just
> a bunch of patches all around to work around that broken design. And we
> should have gone sooner with that native cut and paste, instead of ever
> patching.
>
>> This includes our ability to interoperate with MS Word and other
>> applications.
>
> I'm sorry, but as long as AbiWord doesn't lose focus there is NO reason
> to convert to something else. Same for drag'n drop since we still does
> not support drag and drop to outside of abiword.

This is your time, feel free to spend it as you wish. sum1 and I will keep
you honest as you work on it. As I said, I think this is a waste of time
because at the end of the day the user will at best notice a very small
improvement in copy/paste and we potentially lose the our great
interoperability.

In any case I plan to maintain RTF cut/copy/paste as well as improve
(X)HTML imp/exp.

Cheers and Good Luck!

Martin