Re: 2.4 feature list - native cut and paste.

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 03:00:51 CET

msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:

>>4. Native cut & paste (Hub)
>

> There is a HUGE amount of code in the RTF export and importer designed to
> deal with the complexities of cutting and pasting and particularly the
> complexities of pasting into different contexts.
>
> I'm not willing to help out much on this piece of code because I consider
> it a waste of time and I will accept no regressions from our current cut
> and paste code feature set.

It is not a waste of time. It is basically a requirement, and this idea
of using RTF is a bad design IMHO.
What we should do is implement object persistence in PieceTable, which
is not too hard.
The RTF imp/exp is far too complex because of all of these, and is just
a bunch of patches all around to work around that broken design. And we
should have gone sooner with that native cut and paste, instead of ever
patching.

> This includes our ability to interoperate with MS Word and other
> applications.

I'm sorry, but as long as AbiWord doesn't lose focus there is NO reason
to convert to something else. Same for drag'n drop since we still does
not support drag and drop to outside of abiword.

Hub