Re: 2.4 feature list: preferences reworking

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 18:05:14 CET

> > Something that I want to enable is to allow plugins and exporters to
> > add sections to the preferences dialog (or its helper classes). The
> > HTML export options dialog seemed like a good idea at the time but most
> > of the time it's a nuisance and these options (and, generally speaking,
> > any simple options) could be added relatively easily to a dynamically
> > generated section of the preferences dialog.
>
> Hmm. This could be nice, but on the other hand, a lot of users expect a
> dialog to popup on export to choose the settings they need. So it might
> be puzzling at first to 'hide' them in the preferences dialog.

Even if want to annoy users with a pop-up each and every time the save you
probably want to set the defaults for the exporter in preferences.
(Nobody wants to change the settings absolutely every time, so it
doesn't make sense to show them every time.)

Rather than popup up a seperate dialog every time it makes more sense
not to annoy hthe user but instead provide an "Options" button to take
them to the Import/Export preferences, in cases they wish to adjust the
settings.

- Alan H.