Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 19:01:34 CET

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Charles Goodwin wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:26:00 +0000
> From: Charles Goodwin <charlie@vexi.org>
> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.
>

> On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 08:34 +0000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> > (2) Provide a preference that would allow the user to force PNG or JPG
> > snapshots for everything in the document. This way if you sent a doc
> > with a formula and I complain it has no formulas in it (no SVG plugin)
> > you will be able to make me a usable one.
>
> Are you sure that isn't a bit of a hack?
>
> Surely it can't be that difficult for somebody to download the SVG
> plug-in rather than mutilating the document. That's what plug-ins are
> for... plus I imagine the SVG plug-in would be bundled as one of the
> default AbiWord plug-ins.

As a user on a university network where it can be difficult if not
impossible to upgrade or install anything I'm not sure that it is as easy
for users as you seem think it would be. Keep in mind the average
grandmother or our archetypal 'church secretary' may not be the kind of
user that ever installs anything for themselves.

- Alan