Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 19:40:28 CET

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Jean [ISO-8859-1] Bréfort wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:42:29 +0100
> From: "Jean [ISO-8859-1] Bréfort" <jean.brefort@normalesup.org>
> To: Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>
> Cc: AbiWord Developers <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> Subject: Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.
>

> Le mardi 11 janvier 2005 à 14:16 +1100, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au a
> écrit :
> > virtual void loadEmbedData(UT_sint32 uid);
> >
> > OK these load the data from data-item in the associated with the object.
> > This data could be:

Note: this data could be anything. It is generic.

> > MathML for a the GtkMathView plugin
> > Gnumeric XML for a Gnumeric plugin
> > Postscript text for a postscript plugin
> >
> > Some generic bonobo XML data for a generic bonobo plugin.
> > Whatever you like...

Note: this is just one option of many open to developers

> I feel there are some limitations with using bonobo, mainly:
> - portability issues,
> - no working print interface.

Yes but if a developer is already familiar with Bonobo and a control is
available it migth be easier/more useful for them (for themself a Bonobo
based plugin is better than no plugin) to develop a bonobo based plugin
rather than a plugin with cruder callbacks to another (like the AbiGIMP).

My understanding is that this is just a generic base from which other APIs
can later be developed, it is not intended to be the be all and end all
but by providing the basics now it makes it simpler to keep a minimum of
back compatibility later.

- Alan