Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.

From: Jean Bréfort <jean.brefort_at_normalesup.org>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 22:00:03 CET

Le mercredi 12 janvier 2005 à 20:35 +0000, Francis James Franklin a
écrit :

> >> Technically all namespaces in a document should be defined in the DTD
> >> (not that Abi's DTD is anywhere near up-to-date).
> >
> > Why? I do not understand that. XML namespaces have been devised to give
> > the possibility to make modular documents with data coming from
> > multiple
> > software modules. You don't need everything described in the main
> > document DTD os schema.
>
> I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but my experimentation with XML
> namespaces and DTDs a couple of years ago suggested otherwise. Perhaps
> XML Schema are more flexible. Anyway, it's largely irrelevant.
>
> >> My real objection is that it's Abi that would be responsible for
> >> parsing & creating the embedded XML, which although possible is
> >> technically awkward.
> >
> > The plugin should do that, not abiword. I do not think it is so
> > difficult.
>
> It's certainly doable, but it does make the plugin's job harder.
>
> And then, also, AbiWord has to trust that the plugin is exporting valid
> XML.

Yes, but it can be checked.

> >> Far better, imho, to store all generic embedded data as base-64
> >> encoded
> >> data along with the name of the responsible plugin, a mime-type, and a
> >> base-64 encoded image preview.
>
> My concern here is that while it is possible to embed XML data such as
> SVG and MathML as XML in the AbiWord document, if (for example) you
> create an SVG image in Adobe Illustrator, insert it into AbiWord, later
> extract it from AbiWord, then the resulting SVG will not be the
> original. Now, you may argue that the differences are acceptable, but
> it doesn't really satisfy me. The easiest way around this is to embed
> the original file (base-64-encoded, naturally).

Abiword should not change the xml produced by the plugin. Adobe
Illustrator is not an Abi plugin and will probably never be one.

I believe we should stop there our discussion. We both gave our opinion.
The most important thing is making things work.

Regards,

Jean