Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 00:00:03 CET

> Hi Martin,
>
> presuming that the embeddable objects support "text-wrapping":
> Could parts of this work be re-used on the abi-side to make tables
> "first class citizens" wrt wrapping text around them?
>
> I know this is already possible by putting the table in a text box, but
> it would be nice to have a common base for all "objects" in Abiword.
> This should make it easier at some point in the future to add e.g.
> captions to the objects.
>
> We could also think about a generic properties dialog - provided by
> abiword - that would allow the manipulation of borders and margins (and
> maybe a caption in the future). Further ahead plugins might even be able
> to add their own notebook-pages to the properties dialog. I think
> nautilus does something like that already.

Hi Bob,
       Thanks very much for your suggestions. As I respond to your
suggestions I find that the ways to implement them become clear to
me.

I think this will all be very doable once I write the code to allow tables
to be the first container of a section. Then coverting a table to actually
be a floating object is a simple matter of placing SectionFrame endFrame
struxes around the table.

I agree that we should write a generic edit frame properties dialog too.

But I'll leave this for someone else. Feel free to implement it :-)