Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.

From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Jan 15 2005 - 01:37:14 CET

Hi Martin,

> My vision is very simple. An external library can
> draw into the abiword
> canvas and keep it's representation in the abiword
> document.
>
> This library may in fact invoke and out of process
> of program to get the
> content to store in abiword.
>
> It might be a full-blown ActiveX or bonobo control.

No. ActiveX, Bonobo, XEMBED, KParts simply just don't
work like that. You'll never fit that square peg into
our round hole, no matter how hard you push.

If you want tight integration ala AbiWord + MathML,
that's *great*. What you're proposing is a great
solution for that class of problems. However, in that
case, I might make an argument that these
tightly-integrated things not be plugins.

However, confusing this with a proper embedding
framework is folly.

I can see the place for both types of solution. But
using AbiGimp as a model for an embedding system?
Please...

Best,