Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.

From: J.M. Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Sat Jan 15 2005 - 01:48:00 CET

First of all, 1 agree fully with this response from Dom.

> > My vision is very simple. An external library can
> > draw into the abiword
> > canvas and keep it's representation in the abiword
> > document.
> >
> > This library may in fact invoke and out of process
> > of program to get the
> > content to store in abiword.
> >
> > It might be a full-blown ActiveX or bonobo control.
>
> No. ActiveX, Bonobo, XEMBED, KParts simply just don't
> work like that. You'll never fit that square peg into
> our round hole, no matter how hard you push.

ack

> If you want tight integration ala AbiWord + MathML,
> that's *great*. What you're proposing is a great
> solution for that class of problems. However, in that
> case, I might make an argument that these
> tightly-integrated things not be plugins.

One argument to at least _allow_ these tightly-integrated things to be
plugins, is to provide a means for 3rd parties to write such plugins for
AbiWord.
Most of the time such plugins are developed to solve a particular
problem for someone. Most likely, you don't want such plugins to live in
the main tree as they have no 'general' use.
On the other hand, you don't want to take the option away altogether if
there is no good reason for it.

So imo, allowing tightly-integrated things to be a plugin is a good
idea.

Marc