Re: win32 Unicode support

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 08:45:55 CET

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Glassey wrote:

> From what I remember the difficulties, or at least the work, came in
> the places where AbiWord expects UTF8 or codepage text and having to
> convert it to UTF16 for Unicode Windows. This was virtually all
> localisation bits. Also there are listboxes and other parts of dialogs.

We need to make our string set to use UTF-16 internally on win32 with
UNICODE defined; this should make our life much easier. I think all this
requires is to modify the encoding manager functions that return the
name of native encoding (in XAP_Win32EncodingManger.cpp).

> I suspect it will be very little extra work to get it working with
> unicows as to getting unicode working in the first place. The extra work
> would be mostly in the build system.

OK, that is a good enough argument for going the unicows way for win9x.

> The stuff I had done is in the w32unicode branch though it is well out
> of sync with HEAD by now.

Would you have time to see how much out of sync it is?

> If we want to make this a priority for 2.4

Yes, I definitely want this for the 2.4, it is long overdue.

> then I think we should go
> ahead and do this in HEAD. For the moment we can use ifdefs and keep the
> 9x and unicode builds separate because this will break the build until
> it is all fixed.

Yes, we should do this in HEAD. I would like to be able to turn this on
just using the standard UNICODE define; however, to be able to easily
find the ifdefed code, we should probably have something like
ABI_WIN32_UNICODE that will get defined in ut_types.h if UNICODE is defined.

I am in position to test both on WinXP and Win98SE.

Tomas