Re: New dialog framework

From: Robert Staudinger <robsta_at_stereolyzer.net>
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 13:18:04 CET

Am Donnerstag, den 20.01.2005, 07:28 +0000 schrieb Tomas Frydrych:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Robert Staudinger wrote:
>
> > just for the record, it would be nice if the new dialog framework would
> > also support hooks for widgets, some sort of widget factory.
>
> If you mean the ability to dynamically insert controls into dlgs, I fear
> this would require a huge amount of work if it was to work via XP
> interface. What I think would be much easier to do and would achieve the
> same results, is to provide API for a plugin to replace Abi's dlgs with
> dlgs of its own (with additional functionality) inside the dlg factory.

That would be really powerful, especially if the dialogs provided by
plugins could be subclasses of existing ones (as you mentioned on
#abiword). So a plugin-writer could decide if the xp dlg should be the
base for a complete replacement or if e.g. an existing gtk-dlg should be
only be tweaked by adding a gnome widget... Hooks would have to be
exposed to the subclasses on a per-dialog basis then, of course.

Another interesting feature would IMHO be to handle (most of) the l10n
in xp land but i'm pretty sure that hub has all that and much more in
mind already, i just can't stop babbling 'cause this is a very exciting
thing.

- Thanks,
Rob