Re: First patches for the OpenDocument plugin

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 15:03:02 CEST

On 7/4/05, Daniel d'Andrada Tenório de Carvalho
<daniel.carvalho@indt.org.br> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have reached the first milestone towards the OpendDocument plugin,
> which is the following:
>
> 1 - Created a new plugin called OpenDocument:
>
> It is, in fact, the OpenWriter code without the .sxw part. The
> classes have been renamed from *OpenWriter* to *OpenDocument*, some
> (just a few) variables also renamed and I have stripped out every class
> to a separate class.h/class.cpp pair.
>

> 2 - Added full support for meta data import
>
> I have started out with this because it is the most simple part of
> the code. :-) From now on I will tackle the style and content parts.
> I saw that Abiword implements the entire Dublin Core meta data, but
> the OpenDocument standard have only a subset of it (about half of those
> dc:* metas) and adds meta data that have no counterpart on abiword. Most
> of those were dealt without problems but some couldn't be done because
> they have no content (stuff between start and end tags). They just
> define a couple of properties inside their tags. Those are the following:
>
> * meta:template
> * meta:auto-reload
> * meta:hyperlink-behaviour
> * meta:document-statistic

[...]

> What do you guys think about all that stuff?

I read the metadata parser part of the patch (assuming that the
.cpp/.h split part is ok). It looks good to me. Only the relation
between "meta:initial-creator" and "dc:creator" is not clear to me.
Can they both be set at a time with different values and what does
that mean? You really need to convince me that both are needed in
AbiWord, like you indicated in the patch.

For stuff like that:
+ // Should have a PD_META_KEY_INITIAL_CREATOR macro for this one
+ getDocument()->setMetaDataProp("meta:initial-creator", m_charData);
feel free to send a patch too. Also i'm not sure if we'd like to start
using namespaces in the metadata section or if a simple "meta." prefix
would do as well for properties that go beyond Dublin Core.

Another thing we previously discussed was to store the entire settings
stream in a metadata attribute so we could regenerate it on export
(AbiWord doesn't excessively store its settings in the documents).
Maybe you'd like to look into that?

Thanks,
Rob