Re: document history feature

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 22:38:29 CEST

Stefan Ihringer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could someone please give me a short overview of how the document
> history works in Abiword? In order to properly translate those
> strings I'd like to understand the feature first. What exactly does
> "maintain full history" do when I toggle it? Because even when I turn
> it off, there are still multiple versions in the document history
> dialog. Reverting to an older one doesn't seem to change anything (do
> I just not get it or is this feature still in development? :-) )
>
> Moreover, "show document after revisions" and "show document after
> previous revisions" doesn't seem to change anything (a check mark is
> always next to the latter item). What's the difference anyways? I've
> checked the online help but couldn't find anything about those
> features (except for a notice that revisions aren't usable yet).
>
> thanks for enlightening me
> Stefan

I don't know a huge amount about these features, however, I do know a bit.

Document history is not the same as revisions. Document history
maintains a history of the full document each time you save and close
AbiWord. Revisions, on the other hand, are meant for collaborative
editing (Pass a document around, make revisions). The "Show document
after (previous) revisions" option won't do anything if no revisions are
marked (choose "Mark Revisions" or similar to start a new revision).
Once you realize that these are two separate things, playing around with
it to learn is much easier.

Hope this helps!

Ryan