Re: 2.4 timetable

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 10:49:12 CEST

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 07:38 +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We have made not bad progress during the last month, but not enough to
> stick to the original release date at the end of June. After quizzing
> our QA Manager on the state of matters last night, I think we have to
> push the release date back to July 15. (I would really hate if have to
> push it any further, but we will do what is necessary to get a decent
> application out there.)
>
> The following issues are outstanding:
>
> 1. Regressions from 2.2
> There are number of them and they have to go before 2.4.

There are not many of these left. I'll fix these up within a couple of
weeks.

> 2. Reproducible crashes (and hangs)
> Again, there are a few of these. The 2.2 series has been pretty stable,
> and we need to at least retain that level of stability, if not improve
> on it.

Very few new hangs or crashes here either. I suspect that for regular
editing CVS HEAD will soon be more stable than 2.2.x

> 3. Redraw and clear-screen issues
> There are number of these, both on windows and *unix. They become
> particularly clear when you use tables (especially when not using same
> background colour for the entire table), and frames.

Yes. I'm sure these are present though I suspect that we are not much
worse than 2.2.x .

We really need to start exercising the new features of 2.3. It would be
fantastic to allow Windows users to use grammar checking, the math
plugin, text folding, and tightly wrapped images so sum1 can break them
all :-)