Re: (Long) Rewrite Rules for Wiki (was Re: Wiki)

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 15:16:19 CET

On Thursday 03 March 2005 11:42 am, Randy Kramer wrote:
> http://www.abisource.com/WebHome
>
> (to be rewritten as:
>
> http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/edit/Abiword/WebHome)

Oops: "edit" should be "view" in the previous line.

On the premise that this is a workable approach, I've tried writing a rewrite
rule. I think this will work--can anyone with more knowledge of rewrite
rules vet this?

RewriteRule ^/([A-Z]\w*)$ /twiki/bin/view/$1

I think the required boiler plate ahead of that rule might include:

RewriteEngine On

 # from one source "this needs to be set to allow the URL manipulation"
 Options +FollowSymlinks

# Logging, especially for troubleshooting (adjust parameters appropriately)
RewriteLog /var/log/apache/rewrite.log
RewriteLogLevel 9

RewriteRule ^/([A-Z]\w*)$ /twiki/bin/view/$1

# I don't know if we need this, or if it should be before the RewriteRule.
From one explanation: "the directory the manipulations will take place
on" (adjust the directory appropriately)
RewriteBase /

I understand that these commands can be in either the .httpd.conf file or in
(the appropriate) .htaccess file.

Caveat: I don't know what I'm doing here--I hope someone can look over my
shoulder and confirm (or fix) these, or that Hubert has had enough experience
to know how to handle rewrite rules.

regards,
Randy Kramer