Re: Patch (ENCHANT): Autopackage support

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 18:31:04 CET

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:12:35 -0500
> From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere@teaser.fr>
> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: Patch (ENCHANT): Autopackage support
>

> On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 15:20 +0100, Petr Tomasek wrote:
> > I'm not complaining about autopackage, I just fear, that
> > there will be no more official 'native' abiword packages
> > (i.e. users would have to wait for 3rd parties to create
> > the packages).
> > About this I would certainly complain...
>
> Then why don't you offer your packaging services ? It has never been in
> our policy to provide official packages. We just do this as a
> convenience, at least for Linux.

I honestly do not understand objections to Autopackage.

I realise that RedHat packages if done properly can be faster for users
but the flexibility and robustness of Autopackage is more likely to save
time if things are not done correctly.

Also I cannot see a downside to the massive saving of developer time by
and energy by being able to use Autopackaged binaries on various
platforms.

If there are downsides to Autopackage that I do not know about (and that
the Autopackage developers are not already in the process of fixing) I
would certainly be interested to hear about it, although it would probably
be best if you mailed me off list or brought up the discussion on
irc.gnome.org #abiword sometime.

But more importantly the developers have committed to continue to provide
RPMs for the forseeable future so there is not need to worry about that
support ending until it happens. I honestly doubt the Abiword developers
will use the Autopackages to fully replace RPMs until they offer a very
significant improvement over RPM for all users. Trust the Abiword
developers, their wise decisions have gotten us this far.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/