AbiWord autopackages with libwpd

From: Robert Staudinger <robsta_at_stereolyzer.net>
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 22:02:17 CET

Hi Marc,

we already talked about my plans to ship the next stable abiword
autopackage with some popular plugins. I'd like to build them in (thanks
fjf) so it's a minimal effort for the packager and also very straight
forward for our users.

One very obvious candidate is the wpd filter so i have done a basic
autopackage of libwpd. Well, it would probably be better to statically
link it though because of a recent change in the g++ ABI which makes
things crash if versions of build-env and exec-env don't match. The
inkscape devs have been through this [1].

Rationale:
+ No incompatibilities (crashes, see above)
+ Few apps use libwpd (i think), so mem-usage should be about the same
+ With our regular stable releases we can get the most recent libwpd
versions to our users, if linked dynamically the lib wouldn't even be
upgraded as long as the binary versions are compatible.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9358555

What do you think?
- Rob