Re: AbiWord autopackages with libwpd

From: Rui Miguel Seabra <rms_at_1407.org>
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 22:28:28 CET

Bad idea.

Let dynamic libraries fullfill their job, and there's no need to impose
over 400KB worth of (likely useless) memory on every single user.

I, for one, have never encountered any word perfect file in the last 9
years...

That 'memory is cheap' argument is bollocks! If every thinks like that,
we'll need a lot more than 512MB pretty soon, now.

Hugs, Rui

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 22:02 +0100, Robert Staudinger wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> we already talked about my plans to ship the next stable abiword
> autopackage with some popular plugins. I'd like to build them in (thanks
> fjf) so it's a minimal effort for the packager and also very straight
> forward for our users.
>
> One very obvious candidate is the wpd filter so i have done a basic
> autopackage of libwpd. Well, it would probably be better to statically
> link it though because of a recent change in the g++ ABI which makes
> things crash if versions of build-env and exec-env don't match. The
> inkscape devs have been through this [1].
>
> Rationale:
> + No incompatibilities (crashes, see above)
> + Few apps use libwpd (i think), so mem-usage should be about the same
> + With our regular stable releases we can get the most recent libwpd
> versions to our users, if linked dynamically the lib wouldn't even be
> upgraded as long as the binary versions are compatible.
>
> [1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9358555
>
> What do you think?
> - Rob

+ So let's do it...?