Re: Permission to commit Latex equation editor?

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 01:38:21 CET

> And anonther one ... :-)
>
>> As I mentioned recently, I've been working towards using the
>>itex2MML program to allow users to insert and edit Mathmatical
>>expression written in Latex into AbiWord.
>>
>>I'm happy to report that this works very well. See the screenshot:
>>
>>http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/~msevior/abiword/LatexMathSS1.png
>>

> Looks nifty btw! (not happy with it currently though, but that's for
> later on to fix)
>

>>The webpage for itex2MML is here:
>>
>>http://pear.math.pitt.edu/mathzilla/itex2mml.html
>>
>>itex2MML is a very small command-line program written is straight C. It
>>uses lex and yacc to obtain it's expressive power. It reads latex (well
>>rather it's near equivalent itex) on stdin and produces MathML on stdout.
>
> I'd rather link it though, so we could rework it a bit to make it a
> library. Run time dependencies are really a bad idea.

It's not obvious how to link it because of all the lex and yacc stuff.
Please have a look at the code and tell me how to do it.

Also it's not clear why having a run-time rather than a dependency on an
external library is such a bad thing. We just install itex2MML in the same
directory as the AbiWord execuatble or ship it as it's own executable. It
is useful in it's own right.

Martin