Re: Permission to commit Latex equation editor?

From: Luca Padovani <lpadovan_at_cs.unibo.it>
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 15:00:40 CET

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 00:42 +1100, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
> Ah, this is exactly what is happening. Here is an example:
[...]

allright, the entities are there. However, in the demo page of itex2mml
I noticed that the result of the translation is a well-formed document
for which the MathML entities are correctly included via the DTD. So, it
seems like itex2mml is behaving correctly.

How do you extract the <math> fragment from itex2MML output? Do you do
that by hand?

> 1. write a post-MML parse to convert all the entities to unicode. I'd just
> need access to the latex book and I could write up a mapping pretty
> quickly.

there is no need to lookup a latex book, fortunately (there are nearly
2000 MathML entities!) The MathML spec lists them all, and gtkmathview
provides an XML file with the correspondence between entity names and
Unicode characters (see the file entities-table.xml in gtkmathview)

> Regarding the font issues, I believe that there are some quality math TTF
> available.

sure. The TeX fonts themselves are available as TTF. It is writing the
backend for using them, and making it work for printing too, that is not
trivial. Unless we manage to open them and request specific glyphs from
them via the sole AbiWord interface to system fonts.

Cheers
--luca