Re: Permission to commit Latex equation editor?

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 15:32:48 CET

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 00:42 +1100, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
>> Ah, this is exactly what is happening. Here is an example:
> [...]
>
> allright, the entities are there. However, in the demo page of itex2mml
> I noticed that the result of the translation is a well-formed document
> for which the MathML entities are correctly included via the DTD. So, it
> seems like itex2mml is behaving correctly.
>
> How do you extract the <math> fragment from itex2MML output? Do you do
> that by hand?

That is the entire output of itex2MML. I created a file with the Latex
expression and piped it into itex2MML with..

cat fred.tex | itex2MML

>> 1. write a post-MML parse to convert all the entities to unicode. I'd
>> just
>> need access to the latex book and I could write up a mapping pretty
>> quickly.
>
> there is no need to lookup a latex book, fortunately (there are nearly
> 2000 MathML entities!) The MathML spec lists them all, and gtkmathview
> provides an XML file with the correspondence between entity names and
> Unicode characters (see the file entities-table.xml in gtkmathview)

Excellent! What do we need to do to make all this work?

Is there a simple solution to get GtkMathView to recognize the Entities?

>> Regarding the font issues, I believe that there are some quality math
>> TTF
>> available.
>
> sure. The TeX fonts themselves are available as TTF. It is writing the
> backend for using them, and making it work for printing too, that is not
> trivial. Unless we manage to open them and request specific glyphs from
> them via the sole AbiWord interface to system fonts.

We should be able to do that. I recall we used Symbol to get us started
because it was already widely available.