Re: Kurdish: ISO 5589-9 problems

From: Kenneth J. Davis <PerditionC_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 20:05:12 CET

J.M. Maurer wrote:
>>I suppose AbiWord will work fine on machines running with Windows
>>localized for Turkey. Is there a way for all the others?
>

> Jordi, tf, could you have a look at this? Is the the part where we need
> abiword to become a fullblown unicode app ?
>
> Marc

Yes and no. If we were a unicode app then this would just work on NT
(assuming compatible fonts installed), but as an ANSI app under NT the
user must change the appropriate setting under regional & language
options to a compatible setting for various locales to have the UI
display correctly. This, while not difficult, assumes the user has the
privileges to do so and is aware such a setting exists. On Win9x the
program would depend on MSLU (or the Mozilla equivalent) if unicode and
probably has to change region either way so the unicode to codepage
conversion works correctly, though I don't recall for sure so could be
wrong.

Jeremy