Re: AbiWord is too buggy for Bonita

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 21:39:58 CET

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Michael D. Crawford wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:49:06 -0400
> From: Michael D. Crawford <crawford@goingware.com>
> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: AbiWord is too buggy for Bonita
>

> Alan Horkan informs me that you don't have enough Windows developers, so
> it is quite likely that AbiWord works better on Linux than on Windows.

> Even if you don't run Windows yourself, even if you don't know how to
> write Windows code, you can test AbiWord under Wine on Linux.

You really should try it before you say that.
Abiword on Wine isn't the best (but Wine is always improving so maybe it
is better than when I last tried it).

> Alan also said he'd like to see a GTK AbiWord on Windows. The advantage
> to this is that it would make it easier for you to work on, which is a
> considerable advantage. The disadvantage is that it would discourage
> Windows users, who generally dislike GTK apps on Windows.

I think with GTK Wimp (windows themes and widgets that look more native)
that is far less of an issue than it used to be.

> Bonita may have given up on AbiWord, but she DID work with it for a
> couple of weeks. I don't think she ran the Gimp for more than ten
> minutes, and the reason she couldn't tolerate it was that it was written
> in GTK for Windows.

I dont think it is fair to blame GTK for the problems of the GNU Image
Manipulation Programs.

> There are some portions of GTK that might work out
> OK, but when she went to open a file, the Gimp presented the GTK file
> chooser, rather than the standard windows one, and Bonita's next action
> was to uninstall the Gimp.

I agree the default GTK file chooser is still not great.
However the GNU Image Manipulation Program doesn't use the default GTK
file chooser, it uses a modified version of it.

But this is terribly off topic for the Abiword list, suffice to say GTK I
do not believe for a second GTK is really the problem and the chances of
Abiword GTK for windows happenning anytime soon are pretty slim anyway.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org
Abiword is Awesome http://www.abisource.com