Re: AbiWord is too buggy for Bonita

From: Michael D. Crawford <crawford_at_goingware.com>
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 20:49:06 CET

Alan Horkan informs me that you don't have enough Windows developers, so
it is quite likely that AbiWord works better on Linux than on Windows.

I'll do what I can to reproduce and report Windows bugs. You could help
by pointing out existing Windows bugs that you have difficulty
reproducing. Maybe I can narrow them down for you.

Even if you don't run Windows yourself, even if you don't know how to
write Windows code, you can test AbiWord under Wine on Linux. There
would be some benefit to that, even if it's only to make sure you didn't
break something by adding new code.

Alan also said he'd like to see a GTK AbiWord on Windows. The advantage
to this is that it would make it easier for you to work on, which is a
considerable advantage. The disadvantage is that it would discourage
Windows users, who generally dislike GTK apps on Windows.

Bonita may have given up on AbiWord, but she DID work with it for a
couple of weeks. I don't think she ran the Gimp for more than ten
minutes, and the reason she couldn't tolerate it was that it was written
in GTK for Windows. There are some portions of GTK that might work out
OK, but when she went to open a file, the Gimp presented the GTK file
chooser, rather than the standard windows one, and Bonita's next action
was to uninstall the Gimp.

Best,

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/