Re: AbiWord is too buggy for Bonita

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 03:46:05 CET

Hi Michael,
           It's nice to here for you again.

> Her main problems were screen refresh problems. AbiWord spent so much
> time redrawing the screen that she had trouble even entering her text.

Yuck! I'd hoped we were well past these problems now.

> There were also lots of bugs in the screen drawing. For example, she
> was able to repeatedly reproduce a bug in which clicking the mouse would
> cause a screen shot of the lower right portion of the screen to appear
> in AbiWord's window, only to disappear when she released the mouse.
>
> That is, she'd see her clock, and the icons that are at the opposite end
> of the bar where the start menu is, some of her desktop, and a piece of
> abiword's window frame and window contents stuck in the middle of her
> abiword document window.

This is very strange and certainly nothing I've seen on the Linux build. I
would be most interested inknowing if there are bugzilla bugs describing
this behaviour.

> On another occasion, she had written less than a page of text, when she
> selected a single paragraph. AbiWord then "exploded" her text into
> eight pages. She showed me that the insertion caret on one page had
> become three inches tall.

Do you mean the size of the text increased so much that it filled 8 pages,
or that same paragraph was repeated so often it filled 8 pages?

we are very well aware that a users first experience is absolutely
critical. Have you been following the discussion we've had with Rick
Shaut, a microsoft developer of MS Word?

http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/archive/2005/03/13/394808.aspx

One of the ways we can "compete" with MS despite the incredible disparity
of resources is to engage our users. We really need them to help us. So
the blunt response "File a bug report" is the first thing we say to anyone
reporting a bug. The bugs you report here are all really bad. I want to
get them fixed. I don't know if they're present in the Linux build but if
you can show us how to trigger them rest assured they will be attended to.

So that's easily the best way you can help. Show us in short simple steps
how to trigger the bugs and put them in bugzilla. They are certainly bad
enough to warrent placed at a high priority.

Your help fixing them would be appreacted too.