Re: AbiWord is too buggy for Bonita

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 03:55:00 CET

msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:

>Hi Michael,
> It's nice to here for you again.
>

>>Her main problems were screen refresh problems. AbiWord spent so much
>>time redrawing the screen that she had trouble even entering her text.
>>

>Yuck! I'd hoped we were well past these problems now.
>

>>There were also lots of bugs in the screen drawing. For example, she
>>was able to repeatedly reproduce a bug in which clicking the mouse would
>>cause a screen shot of the lower right portion of the screen to appear
>>in AbiWord's window, only to disappear when she released the mouse.
>>
>>That is, she'd see her clock, and the icons that are at the opposite end
>>of the bar where the start menu is, some of her desktop, and a piece of
>>abiword's window frame and window contents stuck in the middle of her
>>abiword document window.
>>

>This is very strange and certainly nothing I've seen on the Linux build. I
>would be most interested inknowing if there are bugzilla bugs describing
>this behaviour.

This sounds to me like a bug I found a while ago, and is now fixed in
2.2 and probably before. By any chance was the taskbar set to
auto-hide? I think AbiWord wasn't redrawing on re-hiding of the
taskbar. If this indeed is the case, that bug is fixed.

>>On another occasion, she had written less than a page of text, when she
>>selected a single paragraph. AbiWord then "exploded" her text into
>>eight pages. She showed me that the insertion caret on one page had
>>become three inches tall.
>>

>Do you mean the size of the text increased so much that it filled 8 pages,
>or that same paragraph was repeated so often it filled 8 pages?

As I mentioned in another email, this is bug 8094. If you have any
additional information on it, please check it out and add it to the report!

--
Ryan Pavlik