Re: commit: Generic Embedded run infrastructure.

From: Jean Bréfort <jean.brefort_at_normalesup.org>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 15:53:53 CET

Le dimanche 20 mars 2005 à 14:43 +0000, Alan Horkan a écrit :

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Jean [ISO-8859-1] Brfort wrote:
>
> > Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:13:55 +0100
> > From: "Jean [ISO-8859-1] Brfort" <jean.brefort@normalesup.org>
> > To: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere@teaser.fr>
> > Cc: AbiWord Developers <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> > Subject: Re: commit: Generic Embedded run infrastructure.

> > > What will it be replaced with ?
> > >

> > > Hub
> > >

> > This is the good question. I don't know even if it will be replaced.
> > I'll post a message on gnome-component-list, but if anybody knows...
>
> I'm pretty sure parts of it will surive out of necessity. Much of it will
> get pushed down into GTK where it belongs and developers will be
> encouraged to take other approaches.
>
> Object level interaction is overkill, standard file formats, standard
> shared libraries and all the other approaches you can see in abiword
> provide viable alternatives for most cases. Open Source software can
> afford and manage lower level cooperation much more easily than
> proprietary development which seems to feel the need for a much higher
> abstraction layer. (Jody Goldberg has always had insighful comments on
> the subject, far beter than any points I could offer.)

Does that mean that if I want to add some stuff for a given app in
abiword, I must write specific code, and another code for criawips and
still another one for ...?
I agree that using shared libraires are much simpler, but we need some
shared plugin interface to unify things, otherwise the work will be
huge. We should not reinvent the wheel for every project.