Re: pango

From: Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <theppitak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 16:47:32 CET

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:03:50 +0000, Tomas Frydrych
<tomasfrydrych@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> As Dom said, I am working on a Pango support aiming to get it into the
> 2.4 release. Whether I will succeed in that is a different question;
> debugging and fixing the graphics class will take long time. It will
> probably be there as an optional extra in 2.4, not as the default.

Thank you for the info. Being optional seems good enough, in that case.

> There will be some limitations. As a Thai user, the lack of support of
> Pango for justification will be perhaps the most obvious; you might want
> to query the Pango list about that.

I see. So, that's one of what Dom described as the lacks in Pango.
I heard Owen mentioned justification in Pango 1.10 plan, however.
So, GNOME Bug #64538 should be solved first for this.

> There will also be a significant
> increase in demand on system resources, and slowing down in speed of the
> layout engine (which could mean flickering on slow machines). How
> significant these will be we will not know for a while yet.

Aha, that's gonna be terrible.

Thanks for helping me in catching up with the situations. Hope I can be
some help in the future.

Regards,
-Thep.