Re: pango

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 09:03:50 CET

Hi,

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:03:28 -0800 (PST), Dom Lachowicz
> <domlachowicz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>If you want AbiWord 2.4 to be released sometime in
>>2008, please ignore my advice. Pango's goals are and
>>Pango's reality are two entirely different things.
>
> So, is there a plan for better Unicode text rendering
> in AbiWord? Would you mind educating me what
> Pango is lacking?
>
> In fact, the mentioning of Pango support in 2.4 feature list
> should have been really good news for complex text users.
> Although I know that's never a promise, as a user with some
> programming capability and is willing to contribute, I'd like
> to learn what I can help to improve support for my language
> (i.e. Thai).

As Dom said, I am working on a Pango support aiming to get it into the
2.4 release. Whether I will succeed in that is a different question;
debugging and fixing the graphics class will take long time. It will
probably be there as an optional extra in 2.4, not as the default.

There will be some limitations. As a Thai user, the lack of support of
Pango for justification will be perhaps the most obvious; you might want
to query the Pango list about that. There will also be a significant
increase in demand on system resources, and slowing down in speed of the
layout engine (which could mean flickering on slow machines). How
significant these will be we will not know for a while yet.

Tomas