Re: CJK patch (was Re: pango)

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 09:16:54 CET

Hi Roland,

> I was beginning to think it was all going to be made obsolete
> by Tomas' pango work. :-)

The Pango graphics will work similarly as the Uniscribe graphics on
windows, i.e., it will be possible to disable it throught
AbiWord.profile (or enable it, it depends on how big performance hit we
will take). In any case, I expect it will take at least 6 months from
the first Pango-enabled release to get all the issues ironned out, and I
would much like decent support for CJK in the non-pango class at least
until then.

> so it's probably not worth worrying about Sanskrit or anything too
> obscure.

It is only worth taking on board what the plain Unix graphics class can
handle, and that pretty much excludes most 'exotic' languages. I would
say, just fix the CJK along the lines you suggested on 15/03; this will
make it possible to extend it further, should it be needed.

> Is this likely to be an issue for you? Are the line breaking rules for
> Thai substantially different from those for English? If they are, would you be
> able to briefly describe them? It would also help if you could send me a test
> document with some representative Thai text and suggest some fonts that will
> enable me to read it.

Thai is too complex for us to support fully without Pango.

Tomas