Re: glade patch, minor mnemonics, accessibility tweaks

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 17:39:43 CET

[...]

> > On a related note what i'd really love to have is being able to "hack"
> > dialogs in glade using real strings, not the notorious "%s".
> > Gtk/Glade gurus: could you imagine a way to translate the strings in
> > the glade files automatically? Maybe using a custom widget loader
> > hook?
> >

> I'm not sure there is an easy way to do that.... The problem is that
> these strings are used for all the platform.
> That would involve generating .glade file using these strings and
> regenerate these string files from .glade... Not counting potential
> breaking of the platform.

I was rather thinking of doing localisation at runtime when loading
the .glade file. I seem to recall reading about hooks in the libglade
api doc but i might be wrong or it might be a bad idea for other
reasons (complexity ...)

> Note tha XAP_Widget implement mechanism to set the label for translation...

I must admit that while this is a great concept i'm not 100% sure if
it works very well for abi's development style. Platform hackers are
usually not in sync at all. Also when hacking on the tabs dialog (gtk)
recently i tried to make it HIG compliant, which renders it a bit
different than the other platforms. Therefore i'm afraid that an xp
l10n could only be established at the cost of significant flexibility
to have different dialogs on our platforms.

Believe me that i don't want to bash the hard work you put into this
at all, i'm just telling my observations from my short career as an
abi dev.

Best,
- Rob