normal view mode

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 21:59:26 CET

I have done some work on the normal view mode over the past week, and as
it is becoming fairly usable, I thought it is probably worth few comments.

The normal mode is not meant to be a fully wysiwyg mode; rather it is
meant to be a compromise between wysiwyg and effective use of the screen
(the use of the screen realestate is a significant issue on the 770,
although more often than not I use a normal view also in Word for the
same reasons).

At present the normal view mode has the following features:

1. There are no hdr/ftr in the normal mode (this was done a while back
by Martin)
2. There is no real margin on the left side.
3. Blocks and tables that reach outwith the normal printable area (i.e.,
into the page margins) on the left are moved to the right; right margins
are set to 0.
4. Frames, being positioned objects, are not laid out at all.

#4 is the behaviour found in Word; I am not too unhappy about not laying
out text boxes, but the side effect of this is that in normal mode there
are also no images visible (since images in AW live in frames). I am
wondering, therefore, whether it might not be better to treat frames
differently. Any thoughts?

Tomas