Re: sliming down package size on Maemo

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 08:30:31 CET

Hi Hub,

Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> I would like to suggest a few things about sliming down the package for
> abiword on Maemo.
>
> 13MB is huge for the device.

Agreed.

> -remove all the /usr/share/doc found in the package... *sigh*
Yes, I am for. (The docs are available at www.abisource.com, and after
all this is an internet tablet.) Is it possible to have the context help
to point to abisource.com rather than localy? This would seem ideal.

> -remove spell checking as we don't ship any dictionnary
Not sure about this, as I would like to be able download and install
dictionaries eventually. I am also not convinced that this would reduce
the size of the binary much. I know there is no enchant (yet); it might
be worth checking if the system provides ispell; it if does, we could do
what we do on windows.

> -remove printing support as currently there is not infrastructure in the
> OS and it has been disabled in the menu.
Not entirely sure about this. I cannot see myself wanting to print from
the device very often, but not having the option at all is quite
different. One possibility would be to remove gnome-printing, and leave
  the homegrown PS graphics, which should be good enough for 'emergency'
use. (I need to see what fonts the system uses; this would be only
viable if there are no ttf fonts, otherwise there would be the ttftool
need, etc.).

> why is there a /usr/bin/fribidi in the package? (it is an executable)
The fribidi package we built into the single abiword.deb is a standard
debian and it builds the executable; it is not needed by AW, so it can
be removed.

Tomas