Re: sliming down package size on Maemo

From: Rodrigo Parra Novo <rodarvus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 21:11:36 CET

On 11/8/05, Alan Horkan <horkana@maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> [snip]
> There are other distributions (like Puppy Linux for example) which are
> interested in having as small as possible a version of Abiword and smaller
> version of abiword might help make it generally easier to push for the
> inclusion of abiword in a distribution (we might get our foot in the door
> as a viewer/plugin for Evolution for example).
>
> Presumably these changes could be done as compile options but ones which
> would be used by default for platforms like Maemo.

   Great idea!

> > > -remove all the /usr/share/doc found in the package... *sigh*
>
> > Yes, I am for. (The docs are available at www.abisource.com, and after
> > all this is an internet tablet.) Is it possible to have the context help
> > to point to abisource.com rather than localy? This would seem ideal.
>
> I have a strange feeling about this. The time it takes to fire up a
> browser and navigate to a page could be considerable. It might be safer
> and less brittle if we were to provide a single local page of
> documentation containing a link to the online documentation and the
> abisource website. Presumably there is already a page in the
> documentation which could says something like "the latest version of the
> documentation is available online at ..."

   Maemo has support for system notifications - they look a lot like
Gnome's startup-notification library. I suppose that using
notifications alleviate a lot the problem of making the user wait for
the remote documentation to show up.

   Also, it makes a lot of sense to use remote documentation on a
device like the Nokia 770 - this device is supposed to be connected to
internet most of the time! (network bandwidth is considered a much
cheaper resource than disk space for this device)

   Best regards,

   Rodrigo