Re: sliming down package size on Maemo

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 02:07:04 CET

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Rodrigo Parra Novo wrote:

> > There are other distributions (like Puppy Linux for example) which are
> > interested in having as small as possible a version of Abiword and smaller

> > Presumably these changes could be done as compile options but ones which
> > would be used by default for platforms like Maemo.
>
> Great idea!

I'm hoping it was what the developers were doing to do anyway.

> > > Yes, I am for. (The docs are available at www.abisource.com, and after
> > > all this is an internet tablet.) Is it possible to have the context help
> > > to point to abisource.com rather than localy? This would seem ideal.
> >
> > I have a strange feeling about this.

> > It might be safer and less brittle if we were to provide a single
> > local page of documentation

> Maemo has support for system notifications - they look a lot like
> Gnome's startup-notification library. I suppose that using
> notifications alleviate a lot the problem of making the user wait for
> the remote documentation to show up.

No, they really dont. Notifications don't make the wait any less
tedious (it may seem like a short wait to you but I'm impatient, the
software should wait on me) but notification do at least let you know
*something is happening* rather than the slowness giving you the
impression nothing at all is happening.

- Alan