Re: Split view and stuff [Re: ambitions of Abi-word]

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 22:03:08 CET

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:51:25 -0500
> From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere@teaser.fr>
> To: AbiWord Dev list <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> Subject: Re: Split view and stuff [Re: ambitions of Abi-word]
>

> Alan Horkan wrote:
>
> >>9. Maybe auto-word complete (if it's done right).
> >

> > Ssh! Dont tell Hub. Maybe if it is _done right_ he wont hate it quite as
> > much as he hates what MSWord does.
> >

> How do you want to do it right?
> 'cause beside pluging into the user's brain, I don't see.

At least part of what makes it so annoying is Microsoft Word does it
automatically when you do not want it. And to make that worse it was piss
poor about letting you undo it and would aggressively redo the autocorrect
you didn't want.

Turning it off by default is probably the only way we could do it
without annoying you (Hubert).

Making sure the suggestions are quality and relevant is important for
those who do want to use Auto correct and also making sure it is easy to
undo/revert corrections you know you dont want (if we cannot aviod making
bad suggestions).

- Alan