Re: date formats localization

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 08:47:31 CET

Hi Jody,

Jody Goldberg wrote:
>>>I forgot Pango.
>>
>>Which is all tricky for AbiWord....
>

> Could you give me more detail ?
> libart should be painless, So I suspect that the sticking point
> would be Pango. Let me clarify that requirement but mentioning that
> Pango would not be required to render values. It would be used to
> measure text. It's readily available for a win32 and osx. Where
> is the tricky part ?

Two points:
1. I really do not want a Pango depency in AbiWord base for win32
because it makes no sense. Pango on win32 is a wrapper around Uniscribe,
and it's use in abiword requires the following chain of conversions:

AbiWord: ucs4 -> utf8; Pango: utf8 -> ucs2: Uniscribe -> to whatever
output is internally needed by Pango: to whathever ouput is needed by
AbiWord.

It makes no sense to me in principle, and because the Pango data
structures are very different than those of Uniscribe there will some
malloc/free involved. Uniscribe has simple to use api for the sort of
things I imagine a library like goffice might want to do, and it would
be good if goffice on win32 used it directly -- I would be happy to help
with that, eventhough my time at the moment is limited. (It would also
be good if goffice provided ucs4 API for things that require unicode input).

2. To measure text with different rendering system than with which you
are going to render it is asking for no end of trouble.

Tomas