Re: Fwd: RE: AbiWord development & licensing question

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 18:45:55 CEST

>>Please forward to whoever is appropriate...
>>
>>Who do I contact if I have questions regarding
>>distribution of an AbiWord
>>derivative? I'm interested in using the word
>>processor on a potentially
>>commercial and "off the shelf" product and would
>>like to know what licensing
>>restrictions there are.

GPL. Read the GPL and consult your lawyer for a legal advice.
(see the file COPYING in the source)
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.html
We use GPL version 2

>>I understand somewhat the GPL, so I understand that
>>means I have to make the
>>source openly available. If I were to compile
>>AbiWord in to a DLL linked in
>>to a greater program...

That wouldn't work. It would fall into the "derivative product"
category. You would have to release your source code under a license
whose terms are compatible with the GPL.

>>1) Do I have to include the sources as part of the
>>distribution, or simply
>>make them available *somewhere* for download.

again, the GPL states what you would have to do.

>>2) Does the source code disclosure apply only to the
>>AbiWord component, and
>>not any applications that may use it?

See the above statement.

Again I am not a lawyer, but I give my own interpretation of the
licensing term AbiWord is under, given that I am one of the copyright
holder of the code used in AbiWord.

Hub