Re: clearing the cache

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 08:29:48 CEST

>> I have found another cache inside gtkmathview which is not reset
>> with the tricks we've been trying before. It has to do with glyphs,
>> so I'm pretty sure it is the reason why glyphBox is only called
>> once.

Ah, this could be the cause of 9512 over which I have lost lot of sleep
:). On win32 the printer graphics and the screen graphics have different
resolutions and cannot, therefore, share a common cache.

>> How do we clear that cache? Hmmm, one way would be to re-create the
>> MathGraphicDevice. This is costly though, and since it is shared
>> among several objects, it basically means that the whole embedded
>> object must be re-instantiated. The obvious solution would be to
>> add a method like "reset" or "clearCache". Of course this means
>> that I have to change the exported API (which has happened already
>> for the 0.7.5-pre-1 pre-release).

Such method is much needed; the fp_EmbedRun::updateVerticalMetric() and
::_recalcWidth() (which are currently only called from the win32 build,
but are necessary) at the moment has to delete the embedded object and
recreate it, which as luca notes is costly.

Tomas