Re: Proper method of statically compiling Abiword

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 16:54:19 CET

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 23:01 -0800, Ben Weintraub wrote:
> Yeah, I understand. Probably not a huge demand for statically-
> compiled Abiword binaries. I was looking to create one for the
> purpose of putting Abiword on a shared web host and using it as a
> backend for document conversion using Docvert.

I think that in that case you best bet is just to build it dynamically,
install all the dependencies locally and wrap the application in a
script wrapper that will preload libraries properly. (using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH for example)
Like most proprietary UNIX vendors do (look at Acroread 7 on Linux).

BTW, you will need X11 libraries installed, even if you don't need an X
server.

> I think another problem was that I don't actually have static
> versions of all the required libraries to link against, so there may
> be no problem in Abiword at all. I will investigate further and let
> you all know if I come up with anything.

-dev package provide the .a often, but not always.

Hub