Blog Post - Writely vs Abi

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 14:23:41 CEST

Just saw your blog post and thought I'd comment, but since I can't, I'll
send an email. You mention that you use Writely instead of Abi at work
due to collaboration. I thought I'd let you know that we have several
hackers working hard on AbiCollab, an awesome collaborative editing
system that uses Jabber as the transport, and that it's scheduled for
release with version 2.6 of AbiWord. Already, before even the 2.5.0
development release, it "works" and should be useable - further work is
being done on making the interface (especially starting and ending
collaboration) more intuitive, making things work "as you'd expect"
(undo undoes only local changes, etc). Multiple carets (cursors), one
for each connected user and displayed in color, are already implemented
as well. Just thought you'd like to know that soon you will be able to
use a desktop app for that purpose! We've even got a dedicated SoC
hacker working on making import/export support for a variety of formats
even more accurate and dependable, so keep a close eye on our releases!

Thanks for reading!

Ryan

(cc to Abi Dev list... email on behalf of the community)

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer