AbiWord Community Outreach Project and update on build blog

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Sun Jul 09 2006 - 03:44:58 CEST

Hello Ants!

I'm happy to announce something that I've been planning for a while as
an extension of my involvement in AbiWord. Located at
http://cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/blog/ is what I have called the
AbiWord Community Outreach Project. I have established this blog to be
able to foster greater communication between the AbiWord world and those
out in the realm of users and other projects' developers. Rather than
repeat myself, I quote below the message posted as the welcome entry:

"Hello everyone! Welcome to the new AbiWord Community Outreach Project!
The goal of this blog is to improve communication between the larger
technology and user community and the core AbiWord community, in both
directions. In pursuit of this end, this blog has encompassed the Build
Blog - nightly (or other scheduled) builds of AbiWord will be posted
here. In the goal that you can subscribe to the posts and only the posts
you want, copious use of categories has been instituted.

Here are the feed URLs that may interest you:

    * http://cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/blog/category/build-results/feed/
      - Feed with only build network results (and related admin things),
      replaces old “buildblog”
    * http://cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/blog/category/community-outreach-project/feed/
      - All other entries, these are human-created entries with notices
      of forum threads, media/press appearances, etc.
    * http://cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/blog/feed/ - The general feed
      URL, use it if you want all the AbiWord blog entries you can get!
      If you’re really an addict, check out Planet AbiSource
      <http://planet.abisource.com> for developer blogs and
      AbiSource.com <http://www.abisource.com> to get plugged into the
      mailing lists!

Any interested community members that want to become authors/editors for
this blog, please contact me!

Welcome aboard, everyone!"

As I state in this message, welcome aboard _everyone_. Those of you
interested in helping spread AbiWord in external communities are
encouraged to contact me to get an author/editor account on this blog. I
hope that it becomes a valuable resource to both users and developers,
keeping track of our public image outside of our little sphere, and
encouraging others to share the electronic goodness that is AbiWord.
Ants are powerful forces when working together in a colony, and I hope
that I can contribute even a small amount to this already thriving
community.

As I don't want a million WordPress installs, and perhaps
over-optimistically hoping for a possible future migration of server, I
have combined this new news source with the Build Blog [1]. The feed
urls above will provide the same services as have already been
available. Remove the feed/ part of the address to see the standard HTML
page for any of those. I would mention to update the buildblogger script
to the new xmlrpc address and to add the build-results category, but I'm
sadly the only one running that script at the moment. If anyone else is
interested in running a nightly build of either tree, please let me know
and I will help you get it set up and get you linked into the blog.

Thanks for all your support! Questions and comments gladly accepted, as
well as requests for author accounts.

Rock on AbiWord!

Ryan

[1] http://cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/buildblog