Documents on the OLPC

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 10 2006 - 13:05:39 CEST

Hello Ivan,

that particular paragraph from the olpc community news caught my attention:

8. Two of Ivan Krstic's Summer of Code students spent half of this week at
the OLPC offices. The students are working on importing external data
sources—such as Project Gutenberg and subsets of Wikipedia (known
affectionately as the One Encyclopedia per Child project)—into the OLPC
eBook reader platform. The office discussions centered around choice of a
back-end format and user interface for the eBook reader, and the students
produced a pair of specifications detailing both problems. Next week, Ivan
will meet with Michael Hart, the founder of Project Gutenberg, to discuss a
closer collaboration on some of the OLPC eBook issues.

Browsing through the various mailing list archives on laptop.org I
couldn't find any reference to that. As the mentor of AbiWords
OLPC-related Summer of Code project I'd be interested in your eBook
reader plans and possible integration with document authoring. Is any
more information regrading that effort publically available?

Best,
Rob