Re: Documents on the OLPC

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 10 2006 - 15:29:37 CEST

On 7/10/06, Ivan Krstic <krstic@solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Robert Staudinger wrote:
> > Is any more information regrading that effort publically available?
>
> The specifications that the students produced are linked from here:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/wiki/SpecList
>
> As that page warns, this is very unofficial, however. The most current
> information at present exists as a hodgepodge of notes in my mailbox and
> several notebooks; I hope to organize it into something more usable in
> the next couple of weeks. If you're available for a phone/Skype call
> this week, I'd be happy to chat about my thoughts and general direction
> of the effort; I'd certainly like to hear what you're thinking about.
> Let me know.

Thanks for the immediate response. Our primary goal at the moment is
getting AbiWord ready to run on the olpc platform. Erik is preparing
to do test various (user interface) scenarious with a basic functional
prototype implementation.

Regarding the bigger picture, e.g. workflow integration on the device
I'm trying to keep pace with the olpc development. The only statement
we have is that AbiWord is considered for the OLPC but unfortunately
we do now know if/how it is supposed to interoperate with the planned
onboard "wiki" or "document storage and manipulation system" in
whatever incanation. Any information on that (hints to mailing lists
...) would be greatly appreciated.

So,
what will the primary document format on the OLPC be?
how are the stored documents accessed (local ones, remote ones)?
will documents be versioned, tracking of changes?
are there any plans for collaborative editing?

Best,
Rob