Re: AbiWord on OLPC progress

From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 17:20:14 CEST

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the status update. May ask a stupid
question (maybe it's a better question for the OLPC
people)?

"Technical Constraints for OLPC Software" says
"[s]hould be light on hard drive writes because the
flash has limited write cycles."

Ok. But:

"Direct Editing. Chris Blizzard mentioned this to me,
and if I interpreted him correctly, what this means is
moving away from the open-edit-save cycles, and
towards just editing documents in place. "Instant
Apply" for documents, if you will."

How can one be "light on HD writes" if every operation
(or even queued up a few seconds. won't matter.) is
supposed to be a direct-edit?

> I have found an organization in Boston that provides
> after school and
> summer camp for low income kids, and I've made some
> connections with
> the director, and I think they'll let me do
> usability testing with the
> kids, so that's really exciting! It should be an

Drop me a line if you're in Boston. I might even be
able to convince Blizzard to come out for a beer and
some billiards :)

Best,