Running AbiWord in the Sugar Shell

From: Erik Pukinskis <erikpukinskis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 18:04:16 CEST

Hi all,

It's still a bit of a hack, but for those interested, here are the
other bits necessary to actually run AbiWord in the Sugar shell:

1) Apply the patches I sent out in the previous mail
2) compile AbiWord with the --enable-sugar flag
3) Apply erikpukinskis-sugarpatch-2006-07-25-1143.diff to
sugar/shell/StartPage.py
4) unzip wordprocessor.activity.tar.gz into your Activities folder
5) Rebuild sugar
6) Run the new AbiWord. You should see the splash screen, but no
AbiWord window.
7) Copy the "Plug ID" that it writes to the console, and paste it into
WordProcessorActivity.py in the Activities/WordProcessor folder you
created. It goes on line 58 (i.e. socket.add_id(50331699))
8) Run sugar. On my machine I have to wait for it to "Fail to
retrieve buddy icon" three times before I click the AbiWord button.
Not sure what that's all about yet.

Anyway, as I said, it's still a bit hackish. I need to figure out how
to start abiword from within Sugar, and retrieve the plug ID (via
DBus?) to make steps 6&7 obsolete.

Erik